About the programme
DigiSmart uses technology as a motivator to capture interest and curiosity. Importantly, it does this in tandem with the use of traditional literacy resources.
The DigiSmart activities develop a comprehensive set of literacy skills — reading, writing, speaking and listening.
- 19 carefully planned sessions across two terms (10 CORE + 9 MORE)
- Each session is 1 to 1½ hours, during or after school
- Each DigiSmart session consists of:
- introduction delivered to whole group by the Lead Teacher
- explicit learning targets for children every session
- session activities accessed online, which children work on at their own computer in tandem with printed DigiSmart Workbooks
- extension activities for children who complete the main activity
- plenary facilitated by the Lead Teacher
- DigiBuddy scheme available in the third term — DigiSmart children act as mentors to others and pass on new-found skills
DigiSmart is not a drill and practice system with children working through on-screen exercises with minimal adult supervision, nor is it one-to-one tuition.
DigiSmart is teacher-led and utilises a SMALL GROUP learning model — this ensures that children get more individual attention without feeling exposed.
DigiSmart has really captured their imaginations and they have been drawn in by the well-researched activities and topics.
DigiSmart Headteacher, London”